PRACTICA Foundation is looking for a dynamic and ambitious director to increase our visibility, strengthen partnerships and support the team of professionals. Are you excited to maximise the impact of our innovations in the water supply, sanitation and irrigation sector in Africa and Asia? Then check out the vacancy and contact us.
General Director PRACTICA Foundation
|Duty station:||Papendrecht, the Netherlands|
|Deadline for application:||31st of March 2019|
|Contract duration:||12 months with intention for long-term employment|
|Employment:||40h per week|
|Start date:||May-July 2019|
PRACTICA Foundation develops technical and conceptual solutions to address challenges and opportunities in the rural water supply, sanitation and irrigation sector in Africa and Asia. Since 2001 we implement our hands-on ideas by providing trainings and technical support to a large number of organisations. We support local business development as a vehicle for the introduction of sustainable technologies and services to provide a positive impact on the lives of people.
PRACTICA cooperates with development and humanitarian organisations, government entities and enterprises to provide technical support and innovations to their programmes. The organisation has an average turnover of over one million euros and is driven by a small but highly motivated team of professionals based at the head office in Papendrecht, country office in Madagascar or as individual consultants in other African countries.
PRACTICA has a thematic focus on sustainable rural water supply, farmer-led irrigation, faecal sludge management and groundwater. Our services, embodied in a professional management structure, include action research, feasibility studies, product development in our workshops in Papendrecht and Madagascar, project design, capacity building through hands-on trainings and technical programme support. The focus is on affordable, scalable and durable technologies and management systems that are run by the local private sector.
PRACTICA is a pioneer in technology development for the rural poor through a private sector approach. Our organisation makes a difference by putting innovations into practice. Technologies have been placed in the service of strategic concepts to provide focus and maximise sustainable impact and learning.
We look forward to continue building on an organisation that enables the team to effectively address current and future challenges in Africa and Asia. The ambition is to increase impact by assuring continuation of our R&D initiatives and increasing visibility of the decisive added value that PRACTICA can bring to projects and programmes from its technical and local business driven niche.
The assignment for the director is to lead and facilitate the development of the organisation with a focus on:
- Strengthening and expanding external relations in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Increasing visibility and establishing a stronger position of PRACTICA in the international landscape .
- Increasing PRACTICA’s sustainable impact within the drinking water, sanitation, irrigation and groundwater domains.
- Identifying and implementing alternative funding mechanisms that allow for an independent continuation of the organisation’s initiatives.
- Building an even more resilient organisation that can continuously innovate.
The position in the organisation
The director is the main face to the outside world, encourages personal leadership of team members and reports to the board of the organisation. The director has the overall operational responsibility, represents the organisation and motivates the team. The team counts 20 professionals with about 50% of the staff based in the Netherlands and 50% in Africa. The staff is flexibly structured into four thematic teams. The organisation and thematic teams operate on a project base and project managers report results and projections to the director. An office manager assists the director and staff in the field of administration, finance, logistics and communication.
Roles and responsibilities
The director is responsible for the representation and strategic leadership of PRACTICA in the sector as well as the management of the organisation.
Representation and strategic leadership:
- Be the face of PRACTICA to the outside world.
- Be on top of today’s developments in the sector and initiate concepts for joint development with strategic private, public and nongovernmental partners.
- Strengthen valuable relationships and identify opportunities for future collaboration.
- Create opportunities for new partnerships with organisations in the Netherlands and abroad.
- Use strategic insights to develop PRACTICA’s strategy with the team and ensure it is put into practice.
Management of the organisation:
- Ensure that the organisation has sufficient capacity for its operations and development in terms of available human, physical and financial resources.
- Be responsible for the administrative, financial and human resources management, processes and development.
- Inspire and motivate the team of professionals in the Netherlands and abroad to continue innovating for impact and maintain the working environment in which this is possible.
- Approve project budgets and develop multi-year forecasts with the office manager based on quarterly project and acquisition figures delivered by project managers.
- Monitor the organisation’s budget and assets and report financial results to the Board.
The candidate profile
PRACTICA is looking for a dynamic and ambitious director who is ready to further develop our reputed niche organisation as a key player in the WASH and irrigation sector; and to increase our impact and reach. We expect to engage an entrepreneurial person who can connect with potential partners and donors at multiple levels and inspire people with practical and realistic solutions. The candidate director is a facilitator who works with the team to develop ideas and initiatives into strategic solutions for the sector. A business-oriented mind-set is appreciated as an instrument to implement our mission and vision and achieve maximum impact.
- Strategic leadership and an entrepreneurial mentality to create opportunities
- A communicative and open attitude to work together with the team and potential partners
- Demonstrated management and coaching skills
- A getting-things-done mentality and strong problem-solving abilities.
- Significant experience in business, public or non-profit initiatives in Africa or Asia
- Willingness to travel frequently for meetings in the Netherlands and abroad
- Relevant background and preferably an affinity with technology
- Excellent communication skills in English and Dutch. Fluency in French is a major asset.
- A network amongst Dutch and international partners in the WASH or irrigation sector is a major advantage
PRACTICA offers a fair and decent salary based on your working experience. The salary is in conformity with a small but professional organisation in the development sector.
Candidates can submit their application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 31st of March 2019. The selection procedure consists of two interviews and includes a meeting with the team. The selected candidate is expected to start as from May-July 2019 depending on his/her availability. The selection procedure will be led by two board members of PRACTICA Foundation and includes an advisory role by two staff members.
More information on the vacancy or procedure can be obtained through email@example.com