Project Cities of the Future Programme
IWA’s vision is a world in which water is wisely managed to satisfy the needs of human activities and ecosystems in an equitable and sustainable way. We inspire change by servicing IWA members, the community of water professionals and opinion leaders; and by being the global source of knowledge, experience and leadership for sustainable urban and basin-related water solutions.
IWA is a worldwide network for water professionals and companies, with a membership comprising leading companies in the fields of water services, infrastructure engineering and consulting as well as more than 10,000 individuals. The IWA network is structured to promote multi-level collaboration among its diverse membership groups, and to share the benefit of knowledge on water science, technology and management worldwide.
Each year IWA organises and sponsors over 40 specialised conferences and seminars on a wide variety of topics in water management in locations worldwide. IWA publishes 12 scientific journals and 40+ books per year on water management. IWA develops leading edge innovations and synthesises these through the work of the 49 IWA Specialist Groups and a set of global programmes focused on for example Cities of the Future, Water, Energy and Climate Change and Basins of the Future. IWA has a worldwide staff of approximately 70, with headquarters in London and offices in The Hague (Netherlands), Bangkok, Beijing, Nanjin and Nairobi.
Under the general supervision of the Programmes Manager, the intern is expected to: (1) provide support to the development of training material (for blended and online courses) and the development of an online knowledge platform for carbon and energy neutrality of water and wastewater utilities; (2) contribute to the development of media communication strategies and (3) administrative and management support. The intern will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide support to the development of training and an online knowledge platform that shows water professionals and other stakeholders how to move water and wastewater utilities towards carbon and energy neutrality
- Assist the extension of a compendium of solutions by literature research and incorporation of solutions provided by the IWA Expert Group
- Enhance the range of influence of training and components of the online knowledge platform by translation into other languages
- Contribute to the development of content for the online knowledge platform by composing of texts, updating databases etc.
- Support the development of tutorials and videos for the online knowledge platform
- Contribute to the development of implementation roadmaps for the Water & Energy theme
- Contribute to the development of a media communication strategy for the WaCCliM Project and Water Climate & Energy aspects of the Cities of the Future Programme
- Help to refine the objectives, audiences and key messages of the communication strategy
- Support the development of a communication action plan
- Support the development and organisation of key strategic events
- Administration and Management Support
- Carry out administrative duties required to function within IWA;
- Develop and use work plans to guide work and deliver results in IWA;
- Support the IWA Management in establishing a well-functioning organisation;
- Contribute to the team spirit and excellent ambiance in the IWA Secretariat and in working with partners.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- University (Master level) education in a relevant discipline (civil engineering, environmental engineering, water management, energy engineering);
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English. Spanish, Thai, or Arabic are a plus.
- Ability to undertake research and synthesize information into summary reports
- Adept in use of MS Office, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Experience in updating and maintaining websites;
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to take initiative;
- Organizational and time management skills with a proven ability to manage competing priorities monitor and coordinate administrative processes and information flows to meet deadlines;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including demonstrated ability to communicate with people from a variety of cultural backgrounds;
- Eligible to work in the Netherlands. IWA can provide a letter of support, however the candidate is expected to arrange any required visa procedures independently.
The above internship proposal describes the main deliverables for this professional development opportunity. IWA is a flexible organisation that expects flexibility from their collaborators – as well as, willingness to undertake other tasks and missions that are reasonably allocated to them but which are not part of their regular duties.
IWA would like the intern to deliver a final presentation report about the work experience opportunity in a form of a brief report or presentation to the IWA staff. We provide a unique opportunity to start your career in the global online digital community management world. IWA places a lot of emphasis on ensuring that internships deliver personal and professional development for individual interns. We hope that this better prepares people for future roles within the water sector, while at the same time provides interns with opportunities to network and build up relationships with potential employers.
IWA offers a stipend of EUR 400 per month, to contribute towards the costs of housing, transportation, and food over the course of the internship. To further support living expenses, we encourage the international candidates to seek additional funds.
Work percentage: 100% (40 hours a week)
Start date: 18th January 2018
Duration: 6 months, with possible extension
Duty station: IWA Global Operations, The Hague, Netherlands
Reporting to: WaCCliM project manager
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are asked to submit their CV in English along with a supporting letter of motivation.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail before 13th December 2017 to:
IWA Human Resources Management – Mrs. Thais Gonçalves: email@example.com.
If you have a sponsor, grant or scholarship to support this internship, please inform us in the supporting letter of motivation.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED